Little Big Peace in Streatham
It’s all too easy to feel resigned about ‘the state of the world’ especially if you’ve spent a few hours scrolling through the news. But guess what? There are literally thousands of organisations worldwide working towards peace and they are gradually making a difference.
One of them is based right on your doorstep in Streatham. The Little Big Peace Event, is an annual event founded in 2011 by volunteers and that invites us all to explore the idea and experience of Peace. This year the festival is turning its focus to providing an alternative to the unnecessary tragedy of youth on youth violence, with the Streatham Peace Procession.
At the heart of this silent procession along the high road is a two-fold commitment:
- To stand with families that have been affected by knife violence
- To stand for our community and future generation of young leaders
This is not about creating fear. We want to show that as a community we CAN put our differences aside for one day. We really CAN stand together against the needless and devastating violence that plagues our young people and community.
The Procession is:
- A ‘Silent Walk to remember those we have lost
- A request that the issue becomes a priority on the agenda for authorities who can help deal with it
- A call to the leaders and elders of all our communities to believe we can make a change and act on that belief
- An offer of visible support and hope to young people who may be feeling lost, trapped and unable to speak out
On Saturday 22nd September there will be speakers and participation from parents, concerned citizens, local youth groups, councillors, Lives not Knives, JAGS foundation and Seeds of Peace. Spare an hour to join us in making a powerful stand for our community and future generations.
See below for details on how to quickly and easily register on the day:
- Registration from 8am
- Walk begins 9am
- Starting point
- outside Lidl off Green Lanes/Norbury end of Streatham High Rd
- outside the Crown & Sceptre Pub on Streatham Hill end (opposite the bus garage)
- End point – all walkers will meet by The Odeon Streatham where there will be a short speech and performance
- Contact: Simi Solomon email@example.com
- You will need to register on the day to join the walk
- Everyone is welcome to join as long as you bring a peaceful and friendly attitude
- Please Bring your own peace-themed banners and wear white (or a white item)
Written by: Little Big Peace